IT security is more important than ever for growing businesses. With an unprecedented amount of customer data now being stored online, businesses have their work cut out securing their own business data and the information customers entrust to them.
When you factor in the requirements of the Australian Government’s Notifiable Data Breaches (NDB) scheme of February 2018, as well as the increasing threat of data breaches to businesses, there’s more reasons than ever before to ensure your IT security is in order.
But here’s the thing – if you ask 10 different people what good IT security looks like you, you’re likely to get 10 different answers. Figuring out the first steps and what matters most with IT security can be confusing. Getting it wrong could see you wasting time and resources on quick-fixes and magic silver bullet solutions, or taking no action at all. We don’t want you to fall into these traps.
Making it easier to protect your business
To help make it easier, we’ve come up with a list of the minimum IT security standards every business needs for sound security. We call these standards the ‘SME Security Blueprint.’ This solid security blueprint is tried and tested against IT threats in complex business environments, and could help to protect your business.
Check your IT security with the SME Security Blueprint:
- Cloud and cloud back-up – do you have 2-factor authentication on all cloud applications? Are you logging all activity in the cloud and backing up data to a third-party service?
- Enterprise firewall – are you filtering incoming and outgoing data for threats? Have you removed direct access to the network and set up a VPN for remote users?
- Users – is your team aware of IT security threats and undertaking regular training?
- Workstations – do you have protection on all workstations, strong passwords with regular changes and automated locking?
- Servers – have you removed unknown users and installed anti-virus and malware protection on all servers?
- Disaster recovery – are you backing up all servers securely and uploading to the cloud nightly?
Review our full SME Security Blueprint to find out if your business is safe against hacking and data breaches.
Got a question about IT security?
We’re always here to help. If you have questions about IT security, or simply need a hand securing your business data, get in touch on 1300 700 187.